Otley's brave comeback doesn't even yield bonus point

In-form Karim Nazir added two more tries for Otley

In-form Karim Nazir added two more tries for Otley

First published in Sport by

Stourbridge 34, Otley 25

Despite finding themselves 24-6 down on 42 minutes, Otley never looked out of this exciting, open SSE National League Two North game.

Their confident approach led to them getting within four points of high-flying Stourbridge before, in an attempt to snatch the win, they leaked a late try which denied them a bonus point.

Otley kicked off into a very strong wind through which full back Mark Ireland threaded a penalty on six minutes but Stourbridge replied when, on the intervention of assistant referee Debbie Innes, they were awarded a penalty 15 metres out.

They chose to scrum and drove to the line where, after numerous attempts were made to drive over, the ball was released for fly half Gary Dipple to slide over, winger James Hearn converting.

Ireland added a second penalty only for Dipple, looping round his inside centre to take a return pass, scored, followed two minutes later by winger Nathan Bressington for a 17-6 half-time lead.

This was extended at the re-start when No 6 Tatenda Mukarati finished good forward work, Hearn converting.

At last finding space, winger Karim Nazir raced to the corner but Mukarati claimed a second try to keep the home side 18 points ahead.

Turning on the style, Otley produced tries from skipper and scrum half Stephen Depledge and a second for Nazir, both converted by Ireland.

With time running out, kicking for position cost Otley when Stourbridge ran back at them, getting Bressington in at the corner and sealing the victory.


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree