Old Otliensians 14 Wetherby 11

Yorkshire Division Four leaders Old Otliensians extended their unbeaten run to 15 games against an in-form Wetherby side who are pushing for second place.

Wetherby were keen to apply press-ure, but the early exchanges were scrappy due to the conditions with both sides making handling errors.

The home front row of Ross Nichols, Jim Dyson and Ross Myers was under pressure from a larger Wetherby trio and No.8 Lee O’Donnell was having to collect the ball going backwards.

Otliensians went ahead after five minutes when they were awarded a penalty for a high tackle which Krist-ian Keinhorst slotted over.

Wetherby responded with a spell of sustained pressure and some big tackles from Sam Featherstone, Ollie Cooper, Nathan Rogers and Luke Cowdell were needed to keep them at bay.

Otliensians extended their lead with a fine try after lock Jack Smith had made a crucial turnover.

Solid drives in the forwards from Smith, Nichols, Ali Campbell and Featherstone provided the platform from which the back division sucked in the defence and created the overlap for winger Declan Jackson to score a try wide out.

Wetherby reduced the deficit after 35 minutes when they opted to take a scrum when Otliensians were penal-ised.

The initial defence was excellent, however the pressure on the line was too much and the visitors scored out wide to make it 8-5.

There was further setback for the home side a minute before the break when Smith was yellow carded for entering the ruck illegally.

Wetherby had a try disallowed before levelling the scores with a penalty.

Otliensians were reduced to 14 men again when prop Nichols was shown a yellow card for what the referee deemed to be a deliberate knock on.

Wetherby landed the penalty to go ahead 11-8. This spurred the home side into action.

A turnover on the ten-metre line led to some great play upfield by centres Rogers and Cowdell, with strong running from wingers Jackson and Josh Howarth, who was on for Ben Hatton. Unfortunately the last pass didn’t quite go to hand allowing the visitors to clear and the home side had to start again.

The introduction of veteran prop Pete Bonner – due to Nichols’ yellow card – helped to shore up the home scrum giving them a better platform to work off.

The visitors back line were penalised for being off side and Keinhorst stepped up to make it 11-11.

The home side kept up the pressure on the visitors with some good drives upfield by O’Donnell, Cowdell and Howarth getting the home side into the visitors 22.

Again the Wetherby defence crept offside in an attempt to suppress the home backs and Keinhorst stepped up to strike the match-winning kick, much to the relief of his team-mates.