Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WONEWS to 80360, or email
Club night director sends his condolences to Ben Rhydding family
Updated 2:58pm Thursday 13th March 2014 in Local news
Joe Preston, of Ben Rhydding, who died of a suspected drugs overdose, and friends were at a dance music night at the Canal Mills venue in Brandon Street, Armley, Leeds, which opens for such events fewer than once a month.
Steven Allison is a director of Sound Venues, which runs the nights. He said the company was helping police and had provided CCTV footage, but added that Joe was not brought to anyone’s attention on the night as being unwell.
“Utmost and foremost, we’re obviously deeply upset ourselves and devastated this has happened to one of our customers. We want to offer our condolences to his family,” he said.
Mr Allison said the venue operated a zero drugs policy and everyone was checked for ID.
He added he was “very surprised and shocked” that Joe had been able to get into the over -18s event on Saturday.